Interested in Adopting?
If interested in fostering, click here to submit a fostering application.
If interested in adopting, please answer the following questions to apply to adopt a MGPR guinea pig. We
try to ensure the best possible match between animal and adopter. Remember
that this is a lifetime commitment. Before applying, keep in mind the following
- Guinea pigs must be housed indoors
- You are expected to provide the guinea pig with a large enough cage.
Before applying, review the page about appropriate
CAGES (click here) . It
is very important to us that your guinea pig has a proper size cage!
- Guinea pigs live an average of 5-8 years. We are looking for those
special adopters who will make every effort possible to keep their companion
for the entire life of the guinea pig despite lifestyle changes (divorce,
- Guinea pigs may not be adopted as gifts.
- Guinea pigs are social animals and are happier in pairs. Therefore, we do NOT adopt "single" guinea
pigs unless specifically stated in the description.
- If you already own a single guinea pig and want to adopt one of our
guinea pigs as a companion, this is our speciality!! Mixed-sex pairs
are recommended as this pairing generally works best.
- Finding three or more guinea pigs that are compatible with one another can be difficult. For this reason
we currently do not adopt out trios and we do not adopt out our single guinea pigs to live in a cage where 2 or more guinea pigs already live. We
do not adopt out guinea pigs to live alone in a cage.
- We will NOT adopt a guinea pig for the purposes of breeding.
- We do NOT adopt guinea pigs to children.
We do adopt guinea pigs to families. Parents
must fill out this application and sign the adoption contract. Please
do not have your children call or email. Applicants who under
18 yrs of age or who are living with parents must have a parent or legal
guardian apply on their behalf.
- MGPR is an all volunteer organization. Therefore, it may be 7 to 10
days until we contact you about your application. If you have not been
contacted after 10 days of submitting your application, you may email
us at firstname.lastname@example.org
for a status.
Fees as of Jan 1, 2019
- $65 per neutered male guinea pig
- $80 per spayed female guinea pig
- $110 for bonded pairs (Pairs listed on the site together)
- Unlike some other rescue groups, all of our guinea pigs are spayed/neutered
and have been to a vet for a checkup prior to adoption. While the adoption
fee helps to cover some of the vet costs, our expenses far exceed the adoption
Here to see why we feel that spaying/neutering our guinea
pigs is so important. Not only does it control the guinea pig population,
there are definite health benefits.
- A contract must be signed at adoption time
Please understand that the guinea pigs available for adoption are all housed
in foster homes. We do not have a shelter facility. We rely on the kindness
of volunteers to care for and socialize our foster piggies. Sometimes, if
a guinea pig has been fostered for a long period of time, a strong bond
forms between the foster parent and the animal. The foster parent has the
final determination in whether or not the animal will be relinquished into
We do not hold guinea pigs back from adoption. There's a chance that the guinea pig you're interested in will be adopted
before you're invited to an adoption meet. Please understand that if you have a guinea pig and adopting a friend for him/her,
it's ultimately up to your guinea pig as to whom you adopt. We would work with you to find a compatible friend of opposite sex.
All of our guinea pigs are spayed or neutered so there is no chance of offspring with your guinea pig.