Adoption and Fostering Information and Requirements
Adoption Policy and Information:
To adopt a guinea pig from our organization you must live in the Washington DC, Northern Virginia, or Maryland area. Please contact us for more information.
If you want to see what guinea pigs are available from local area shelters, click here for more information.
- Before applying, review the page about appropriate CAGES (click here) . It is very important to us that your guinea pig has a proper size cage!
- We do NOT SHIP guinea pigs. You must live in the District of Columbia, Pennslyvania, Maryland, or Virginia to be considered for adoption. MGPR reserves the right to decide which areas of these states are close enough for adoption to be considered. You must be able to come to us for the adoption.
- We do NOT ADOPT to minors. Heads-of-household only can apply to adopt. Please do not apply to adopt if you are a minor living with your parents.
- We do NOT ADOPT to people who have other pets living outdoors (with the exception of horses and other farm animals).
- Review important guinea pig DIET information: What to Feed Your Guinea Pig.
For for information on how the adoption process and what to expect, read our adoption process page
If you are interested in adopting a guinea pig, please fill out our
** ONLINE ADOPTION APPLICATION **
Have you ever wanted to personally get involved the rescue of guinea pigs? We are always in need of good, loving homes to temporarily house guinea pigs until they are adopted. If interested, please submit an application and put "I want to foster!" in the guinea pig requested.
MGPR pays for all vet care your foster pig(s). We even provide the cage! If you have guinea pigs of your own, you can purchase bedding and food supplies from us at our cost.
So, if you can foster just one guinea pig, we'll be one guinea pig closer to our goal of finding "forever homes" for each and every guinea pig.